You really should be having MORE chocolate
- 24 Apr 2017
Everybody loves a bit of chocolate, and now we have 4 reasons why you should be having a bit of Dark chocolate every day.
1) Have a bit of Chocolate for your Heart
Recent studies suggest that a bit of dark chocolate 2-3 times a week improves blood flow and lowers blood pressure. Kevin D. Monahan a physiologist and associate professor at the Penn State Heart and Vascular Institute found that high amounts of cocoa flavanols have constantly improved endothelial function in healthy young people, in patients with coronary artery disease, and in people with high blood pressure.
2) Have a bit of Chocolate for your brain
Dark chocolate also improves cognitive function. Because chocolate improves cerebral blood flow, new studies by Dr. Farzaneh Sorond, a neurologist and assistant professor at Harvard Medical School, found that chocolate seemed to boost the brain's blood supply among those who had impaired blood flow to their brains, and improved "neurovascular coupling" which refers to the link between better blood flow and improved brain activity.
3) Have a bit of Chocolate for your Mood
Dark Chocolate contains phenylethylamine (PEA), the same chemical our brains produce when we’re falling in love. PEA promotes the release of endorphins, so eating dark chocolate will improve your mood. Another neurotransmitter affected by chocolate is serotonin. Serotonin is a chemical that is responsible for maintaining mood balance. Among some of the chemicals which causes the release of serotonin is tryptophan found in chocolate.
4) Have a bit of Chocolate for your overall health
Dark chocolate is full of antioxidants. Eating antioxidant loaded foods like dark chocolate and green tea can protect you from many types of cancer and slow the signs of aging. There are several ingredients in dark chocolate that also promote alertness and reduce stress. A study in Switzerland also confirmed that chocolate alleviates stress levels by prompting serotonin production.
Now that you know the benefits of consuming a bit of dark chocolate every day, why not try making our delicious Dark Chocolate Ganache truffles ideal for your daily dose of Chocolate, but to be honest we can never keep to just one.
DARK CHOCOLATE TRUFFLES
450g bittersweet or best-quality dark chocolate
1 cup heavy cream
Best-quality cocoa powder, for dusting
1. Chop Dark chocolate finely and place in a large heatproof bowl.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring the cream to a boil over medium heat; pour directly over chopped chocolate and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
3. Using a rubber spatula gently stir the chocolate and cream until combined. Allow to sit at room temperature until just thickened, this takes about 10-15 minutes.
4. Pour Ganache mixture into a shallow glass dish. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate until mixture is very cold and just starts to set but still pliable.
5. Using a small spoon and scoop out the Ganache into small balls; place on a lined baking sheet. Return to fridge and Chill for 10 minutes.
6. Use fingertips to shape the truffles into little truffles. Roll in cocoa powder to coat; add a bit of heat with a pinch of Paprika or roll in ground almonds.
7. Chill in an airtight container until ready to serve
We hope that you enjoy these Dark chocolate truffles.
Have some chocolate on us.
The Saffron Kitchen Team
Want to know a bit more about the benefits of chocolate, have a look at some of the below articles
For your Brain
For your mood
For your overall health
For antioxidants and your cardiovascular health